Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Last week my dog had an allergic reaction to something she…

Customer Question
Last week my dog...

Last week my dog had an allergic reaction to something she had diarrhea and vomiting and red rashes all over her belly. I rushed her to the vet and they gave her a steroid shot to stop the reaction.She did not eat anything out of the ordinary, the vet said it might have been a bug bite. Within the next 2 days we noticed she couldn’t she so well so I took her back to the vet and they said it might still be from the allergic reaction she had and gave her eye drops. It been a week and it seems her eyesight is getting worse so I took her back to the vet yesterday and now they are saying it is cataract and she will go blind. 2 weeks ago her eyesight was perfect. Could this be from the steroid shot and is there anything else I can do for her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She is 8 years old

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Steroids can put a prediabetic into frank diabetes and diabetes can cause sudden cataract formation. Diabetes is a consideration if you had noticed that she had been thirstier and hungrier. If so, a simple fasted blood glucose test will tell you if she's diabetic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

She absolutely is drinking and eating more ... but they said the steroid can do that. They did just take blood yesterday but she did not fast will diabetes still show up. And is there anything I can do to stop the cataract from getting worse

Yes, but was she drinking and eating more prior to being given the steroid? If she weren't fasted an elevated blood sugar can indicate food in her gastrointestinal tract rather than diabetes. If her blood sugar were normal in spite of not being fasted, she's not diabetic.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian