Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog woke up 2 hours ago and vomited several times. Then…

Customer Question
My dog woke up...

My dog woke up 2 hours ago and vomited several times. Then has been dry heaving about every 5-10 minutes and now is spitting up white foam. He's a 7 lb yorkie. Yesterday he slept all day and then woke up and had a very large dinner. We had sushi and gave him some plain sashimi. Hes had 3 bouts of diarreah/vomiting about every other week for the past couple of months. 1st time I took to vet and next 2 times it cleared up on it's own and he was fine. We may be giving him too many treats/table food. On Christmas day we brought home a prime rib bone which he ate. It was cooked with garlic but didn't have any garlic pieces left on it. I'm not sure if I should take him to the er now or wait till the vet opens.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Yes, he has an umbilical hernia since birth. Could that cause any issues? He's 4 and has never had any problems before like this.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What did the vomit look like initially?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Did he actually eat that bone or just chew it? Did he break into shards?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian