Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He came home last night from the hospital with a tumor in…

Customer Question
He came home last...

He came home last night from the hospital with a tumor in his brain. they gave him prednisone at 20 mg twice a day and right now he is panting like crazy and can't stop. How much can I give him for the swelling around the tumor?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

I also have gabapentin or pain as well. Her name is ***** ***** she is just now 8yr. 120 lb

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bella?

8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

Its a 2 x 2.5 cm tumor pressing on her left lobe in the brain. she can

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

While there is a wide dosing range with Prednisone (we can even give double what she is having if we needed to), I have to say that Bella's panting is likely due to the steroids. It is a very common side effect (along with increased thirst/urination/appetite and weight gain). So, we'd not really want to raise the dose as she may be sensitive to the drug and a higher dose could bring on more severe signs (ie cause bleeding stomach ulcers, Cushing's disease or even secondary diabetes). Instead if she is panting uncontrollably you may want to speak to her vet about using non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. They don't tend to be as effective as steroids but may be a better option for her personally to get this panting under control while trying to reduce inflammation associated with the brain mass. Otherwise, if you though she was painful (uncommon in brain tumors), Gabapentin would be an option provided it does not contain xylitol (as that is dog toxic and present in some human preparations) and usually we start 120lb dogs on doses of 600mg every 12-24 hours. But again as she is showing a sign that suggests her steroids are causing mild adverse signs, we'd not really want to increase that Prednisone dose but monitor to see if she gains tolerance to the current dose.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian