Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog may have conceived on october the 28. she is just…

Customer Question
Our dog may have...

Our dog may have conceived on october the 28. she is just now showing signs of very enlarged nipples and a little weight gain. no swollen abdomen. she possibly conceived when an un-neutered male jumped the fence. she remained in heat for an additional two weeks. is it possible that she is expecting?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?

Did you get my inquiry about our female

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if there is a risk of her having been mated on the 28th of October that would put her at 9 weeks into a pregnancy which is the time point they give birth and often have milk. So, while enlarged nipples and weight gain are common signs, its a bit late in the pregnancy to only be seeing that (usually those are signs at 5 weeks and on). Plus her having stayed in heat after his visit also doesn't quite fit. Therefore, I would suggest gently squeezing the nipple to see if milk is present and feeling the mammary gland for swelling. But given that we are at 9 weeks, I would be less suspicious that she is pregnant (unless she is having only a single pup) but we could see a false pregnancy (where the body hormones are confused which they can also have milk for the short term until it wears off). So, we'd only want to monitor at this point (or you could have her vet quickly scan her abdomen or feel for any pups) but really at 9 weeks, we'd expect pups any day and therefore would expect to see some abdominal swelling or at least milk if she were pregnant.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian