Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been acting and,breathing strangely and does not…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been acting and,breathing strangely and does not want tovlie diw. When she is standing she extends herneck forward andxsoon her head drops lije she xwnt hold it up. Tonight she,keeps ffalling wholevstandong and she akso keeps,wandering from room to room

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

Did you get my post

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Cant really tell. She seems to be breathibg weirdly. She paces and keeps extending her head forward. Aometimes she has a,shallow cough. I can see her stomach in front if her back legs going in and out laboriously. And she doesn't want to sit or lay down she extends her head out and then. Her eyes start to close,like shes exhausted and falling asleep..she,just did it again now and fell forward

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Could she have,broken ribs and that's makingvut hard to breath and painful to lay down? My housecwas broken into a couple weeks ago. I wonder if they kicked her abd broke some ribs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Patches

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Patches?

She's deaf and 12 years old.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs? Not since the robbery?

Any sneezing, congestion or nasal discharge?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Be best that I can tell her gums are pink and her breathing is like 66.it seems like she's falling asleep standing up.she can't keep her eyes open in their head goes down. but for some reason she won't lay down.

Hello again,

Now I am quite concerned about Patches. Her breathing rate is more than twice normal. While its good her gums are pink (it tells us she has adequate oxygenation), with her standing and extending her neck (behaviors to try to take in more oxygen), I suspect she is having to breathe that heavy to keep herself oxygenated. And if she looks like she is falling asleep on her feet that tells us that she is starting to fatigue and could collapse on us. So, we need to be proactive here.

With regards ***** ***** causes, if this didn't start right after the robbery then that is likely a red herring. Instead its more likely her signs are from underlying heart issues, lung disease (ie pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis, etc) or anemia (low red blood cell levels from blood parasites, immune destruction of red blood cells or a problem with bone marrow). Most of these are treatable or at least manageable; especially if we can get this addressed before she gets to that critical collapsing point. So, ideally, we'd want Patches seen urgently for assessment. Your vet can listen to her lungs/heart and start oxygen if needed. If those are normal, then bloods could be checked for anemia brewing. Depending on their findings, they can treat the underlying cause so that we can ease her breathing and help her survive this.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im a widow and have little money. I fo plan on taking her to her vet in 4 hours wgen rhey first open. I know he tailbis tucked. She just lsid down in her bedvfirva second and whennshe dud she made a faint whining sound and got back up.

Hello again,

That is unfortunate but hopefully Patches can hold on until then. In any case, monitor closely and do limit her access to the house if she is doing any pacing, so we don't have her moving about so much (as that will use oxygen). Otherwise just to mention a few options to try to help with costs. If you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help in this worrisome situation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian