Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is walkiing sideways and dragging one back foot and…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog is...

Hello, my dog is walkiing sideways and dragging one back foot and then the other. Very off balance.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes no wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

MIA age 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about MIA?

No she still has lots of energy but walking sideways is weird She does take Prozac

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs? Any history of a trauma, a fall, or access to toxins?

Does she tend to try to walk on the top of her paw (instead of the pad)?

Any circling to one direction, head tilting or pressing her head into things?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint? When you push on the back or hips?

Any joint swellings or puffiness?

As your description suggests quite an odd gait, could you video this and post it on YouTube (then sending me the link, of course), so I can see what she is doing?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian