Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog Honey is an 8 year old blue heeler. She has had a…

Customer Question
My dog Honey is...

My dog Honey is an 8 year old blue heeler. She has had a progressive neck cord compression over the last 2 days 10 days after a neck injury running into a flyscreen. The MRI has proved this. We have commenced prednisolone. She is not able to urinate due to weakness and has not had a bowel action for 2 days. Am I able to express her bladder and assist defecation manually?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honey?

No I have explained everything. I have a neurosurgical consult in the New Year as it is not sure what the lesion compressing her spine at C5 is. ?oedema but it is late onset. She is on gabapentin and looks a bit brighter after 6 hours but still collapsing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Honey. To answer your directly, yes, you can be shown how to manually compress her bladder which can be effective unless reflex dyssynergia exists. This describes an upper motor neuron dysfunction preventing coordinated urinary bladder contraction and urethral sphincter relaxation which can be detected by her vet or specialist neurologist. The only manner in which to remove feces in a fecal incontinent dog is to give large volumes of fluid by enema which promotes evacuation due to the pressure gradient produced in the colon. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian