Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a partial bag of oreos. if I had to estimate

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a partial bag of oreos. if I had to estimate there were probably about 10 left

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Hiccup age 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Hiccup

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hiccup?

He's a pomeranian. about 16 lbs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. F, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. F
Dr. F, Veterinarian

Hi there, I am Dr. Mike, I am a licensed veterinarian and practice owner. I am going to try to ascertain if this amount of oreos is going to cause Hiccup any problems. How long ago did he eat them?

I’m not sure. Within the past 2.5 hours

Sorry for the delay I was just calculating the amount of caffeine and such we would be dealing with. The problem here is that the oreos are made with cocoa powder and that is a stimulant both to the nervous system as well as the gastrointestinal tract. So the issue we are likely to see is some diarrhea and possibly some vomiting.

The bigger issue is that we are a little unsure of how much exactly was ingested and whether or not Hiccup will be able to get rid of the caffeine and other things without needing medical attention. Most of the time vomiting and diarrhea are the issues but sometimes they will need some IV fluids or medications to stop the vomiting and diarrhea. We have passed the typical time period where we would initiate vomiting unless you think he ate them in the more recent half of that 2.5 hours.