Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

MY DOG SHOLLOW SUM RAT BAIT. DIS WAS BOUT HOUR AGO. SHE

Customer Question
MY DOG SHOLLOW SUM...

MY DOG SHOLLOW SUM RAT BAIT

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

DIS WAS BOUT HOUR AGO

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

SHE LOOKS OK NOW IM JUST WORRY BOUT LATER ON ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

SHE JUST LYING STIL ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog eating normally?

I DIDNT WANT TO FEED HER AFTER SHE ATE DA RAT BAIT

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

SHES 10 YRS OLD IN GOOD HEATH IM JUST WORRY BOUT IF SHE START GETTIN SICK I LOSE HER

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have got this answer back to you as fast as I could ...

1. Where a dog swallows any sort of drug not intended for it then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the rat bait that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then this may be possible. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. Then take your dog to your local vet ASAP because there is a very good antidote available for many types of rat bait and other measures your vet can take. Take the rat bait packaging with you so your vet can identify the toxin involved.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the rat bait incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott