Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Yesterday, I spilled something on the carpet and sprayed…

Customer Question
Yesterday, I spilled something...

Yesterday, I spilled something on the carpet and sprayed Resolve on it. I accidentally forgot to wipe it up and when I left, my dog licked up some of it. When I was gone, she puked up just a little bit, but she acted fine the rest of the day. Today, she will not eat and has been acting sluggish. I just took her out and she had diarrhea with a little blood in it. Will this pass, or do I need to take her in to see the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Not really. She got bit by a dog a few weeks ago and just got her stitches out, but she has been acting like her normal self until this morning.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested some Resolve carpet cleaner and now has vomited and had some loose bloody stools.
All detergents are gastrointestinal irritants and can lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea with a loss of appetite. We do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases of possible ingestion as that only leads to further irritation of the esophagus.
Since she has vomited and lost her appetite we know the detergent has likely irritated her esophageal and stomach lining.

We can do some things at home to ease her stomach and gastrointestinal irritation, but if she is not quickly improving she should be examined.
To try and settle her stomach you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe. I would recommend using one of these for a good 10-14 days as we know her lining is irritated.

Then in a couple hours offer her a small amount of a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber since she has had some bloody diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.
Once she's feeling better then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.
If she continues vomiting and having bloody stools, even after the acid reducing medication is given, continues to refuse to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best she see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat her gastrointestinal system.
But if she seems to feel better and starts to eat then she should come along just fine.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian