Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Why is my dog who has just been given his second dose of…

Customer Question
Why is my dog who...
Why is my dog who has just been given his second dose of worm medicine keep acting like he is choking on something he can't bring up?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How old is your dog?

What worming medicine was given?

How long has this been going on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is 4 months old the worm medicine I gave him with Safeguard canine dewormer and it's been going on since during the night last night
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I really can't afford to pay anymore

It is hard to say it the dewormer is involved in the coughing he is now doing. If you are talking about the granules that you put on his food, I wouldn't suspect that to be the cause, but if he does have intestinal parasites, they do spend a part of their life cycle migrating up to the dog's lungs and are coughed up and swallowed. If he is coughing, perhaps the worms (or dying worms after the dewormer) are irritating his airways.

There are various other reasons why dogs cough so if it continues or if he seems to be getting into distress, it would be best to have him evaluated by a veterinarian.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian