Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have no more money to spend... Unusual sudden swelling in…

Customer Question
I have no more...

I have no more money to spend...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Unusual sudden swelling in one hind leg, no injury, no tumour, all blood markers normal, but ran a high fever of 104.9 which has come down to 103; eating and showing good vital signs except for accelerated heart beat (due to pain/infection?) she's an 11 1/2 yr old Bernese Man Dog and I am hoping this cefazolin and cefaseptin kicks in and does the trick...any ideas? thank you!

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Lotti

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lotti?

She's never had any medical issues, has been tested for Lyme and all good there

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about Lotti's swollen hind leg. I do think her elevated heart rate may well be related to pain and inflammation.

1. Did this come up suddenly?
  2. Is the swelling firm (soft tissue or bony swelling) or soft such that pushing on the swelling with a finger leaves an indent (edema)?
  3. Where exactly is the swelling? Is it near a joint or within the soft tissues between joints?
  4. I understand that she she tested negative for Lyme. Are ticks and tick borne diseases common where you live? Was she tested for other tick borne diseases?
  5. Has the swelling increased or stayed the same?
  6. How was it determined that this wasn't a tumor (radiographic signs, an aspirate or biopsy)?
  7. Were fungal cultures done?
  8. Has she had a clotting profile checked?
  9. Any possibility of her ingesting an anticoagulant rodenticide?
  10. Any signs of bleeding/bruises elsewhere?
  11. Is she still taking an anti-inflammatory?
  12. How long has she been taking antibiotics?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian