Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 month old puppy has vomited 4 times I n the past hours.

Customer Question
Hi, my 7 month...

Hi, my 7 month old puppy has vomited 4 times I n the past hours. The first time he vomited I found a small clump of fur that he chewed from a toy (which I've since thrown out). The 2nd time he vomited it was foamy and yellow. The last two times he vomited it has been clear liquid with barely visibly streaks of red blood. Should I take him to the ER?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

I think he chewed and swallowed some furry fabric from a toy. He may have ingested a few pieces of plastic from a water bottle, but I think I caught him before he swallowed much if any. He is in a stage where everything goes in his mouth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Derby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Derby?

He seems normal otherwise, perhaps a little lethargic, but it's hard to say bc he was playing hard just before he started vomiting. So he may genuinely be tired from playing. Lastly, I ran out to check his last stool and it seemed normal.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

How much does he weigh?

Thirty pounds exactly. He is a rat terrier/ cattle dog mix. In my first message, I meant to type that he has vomited 4 x in one hour

Friend, when we see blood in the vomit it is fair to assume there is something damaging the wall of the upper gastrointestinal tract. In a puppy, a very common cause is the ingestion of a foreign body. In response to your question, if this was my puppy I would have him checked by ER veterinarian for a hands-on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test. You see, if this is related to a foreign body and the foreign body perforates the gastrointestinal tract the outcome is likely fatal. For this reason, it is best to err on the side of caution and have him checked.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I tried calling my vet and she can't see us tonight. Is this something that needs to be addressed immediately or if he stops vomiting could we take him the morning? I'm trying to decide whether to take him to the animal ER tonight, which is an hour away or take him to my vet in the a.m..
Are you there?

Please give me a few minutes, I am typing your answer.

How much does the puppy weigh?

Thirty pounds

This is what you can do until he is seen in the morning by your vet:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Dr. Peter

Would 5mg of famitodine be the right dose?
Okay, well, since I haven't heard back yet, I'm going to give him 5mg. Pls tell me if I should give him more

I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back. I wrote 10mg for the famotidine. But, 5mg is a little more conservative, but, that will work too.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter