Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have taken our dog to the local vet ( 2 different ones )

Customer Question
Hello we have taken...

Hello we have taken our dog to the local vet ( 2 different ones ) and they have given her antibiotics and steroid pills and it's not seeming to help she is constantly licking her paws , they smell like they are rotting and infection , the front 2 are swollen and her hair is falling out and now is starting to get black spots and the hair around them is falling out she's in really bad shape and I'm looking anywhere to help her , so any advice would help my email is***@******.*** just incase thank you so much for your help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Angel?

Not that I can think of the only thing we can think of where she may have picked this up is where we took her to a different groomer that does it out of a van like an onsite groomer that comes to you and we think that she may have picked something up from there??

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Angel today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Have the vets she has seen done any sort of testing of the affected skin, such as skin cytology or skin scraping?

How long has this been going on?

Is she licking or scratching anywhere else than her feet?

Has she ever had itchy skin problems in the past?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't believe they have done any skin testing but she doesn't have mange I know she was tested for that and cancer and both were negative , they did $500 worth of tests on her over the last month and she has never had skin problems before her pink gums are now turning black and she licks mostly her paws but also other places on her body to the point where they are raw this has been going on for about 3-4 months now and getting worse her feet are swollen and sore to the point it's hard for her to walk her pads have actually fell off

Thank you for the prompt reply.

It is hard to say what else needs to be done when you are not sure of what tests were run, but even if a skin scraping was performed, some mange mites are very difficult to find and in some cases, we treat for them, even if the test was negative. If there are lesions that are moist, a bacterial and fungal culture should be performed. It is very common now to see cases with resistant bacteria and that may be why the previous antibiotics did not help. If her foot pads are sloughing, a biopsy of the skin and paw pads should be performed and submitted for histopathology. Looking at things a the cellular level almost always get to the diagnosis. If there are no moist lesions to culture (as mentioned above) tissue can be submitted also for bacterial culture.

I would highly recommend that you have Angel evaluated by a veterinary dermatologist. They have a lot more experience in dealing with chronic and difficult cases. Below is a link to find a board certified vet dermatologist near you:

http://www.acvd.org/

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian