Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy (born 10-1-17) has been breathing rapidly while…

Customer Question
My puppy (born 10-1-17) has...
My puppy (born 10-1-17) has been breathing rapidly while awake and at rest for a few days now maybe a little longer. Before that he drank and peed frequently. Much more than my other puppy did at that age. He often peed 2-3 x an hour and it was pale to clear. He doesn’t pee that often now but the rapid breathing has persisted. Yesterday he had a runny nose. He’s still active but does seem to nap a little more. But overall he still plays with us and my other dog. Just worried about the breathing. It’s fast all the time, in the 80s and heart rate 150. No cough. He’s an Australian cattle dog mix.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your puppy. As you've recognized, such tachypnea (increased respiratory rate) isn't normal in a 12 week old. It's worrisome for congenital (present at birth) cardiopulmonary defects and metabolic disorders which cause a metabolic acidosis - too low of a blood pH. Congenital renal disorders such as renal dysplasia need to be considered because he has a history of polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine). His vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to his heart sounds. X-rays of his chest and a basic diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests should be part of the exam. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. He has a reg appt on Jan 4th for puppy check and vaccines. Should I get him in sooner or is it ok to wait.

I would be more comfortable knowing that he was attended to at your earliest convenience. There is the possibility of a life-threatening disorder. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do! Thank you very much for your help!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian