Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 year old Newfoundland experiencing heavy arthritis,

Customer Question
11 year old Newfoundland...

11 year old Newfoundland experiencing heavy arthritis, having difficulty in sleeping due to pain, difficulty in mobility.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

So..trying to understand which would be better - Meloxicam or Previcox ..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No other than severe arthritis in rear leg leading to difficulty in the dog getting up..our vet recommended both drugs as being applicable with Previcox being the better however the price is so high for 150lb Newf I’m undecided on. Whether to try meloxicam

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your Neuf.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

If money were no object, then Gallaprant would be the safer drug for him since it only targets inflammation associated with arthritis; however, since the drug is relatively new (it was available earlier this year), you'll pay an arm and a leg for it when treating a dog this size!

I typically recommend and dispense human Meloxicam for my larger dogs who have developed arthritis. I know that there are some vets who feel that it it's not as beneficial as other nsaid medication (including Previcox) but that's not been my experience. And, the human drug is extremely inexpensive compared to the other veterinary options available so that it's a much more cost effective choice.

You might also want to discuss pain medications with your vet if you haven't already; Tramadol and Gabapentin are human drugs which are often used in conjunction with nsaid medication for canine arthritis patients.

I don't know if you're giving him any supplements, but the following are what I suggest to my clients. Unfortunately, they can take time (several weeks in most cases) to be effective although they aren't effective in all dogs (or humans for that matter). But, the vast majority of my patients appear to be helped by them. So, while they won't necessarily help your Newf in the short term, they may in the future.

1. I’m a huge fan of joint supplements such as Dasaquin or Cosequin which are veterinary products specifically formulated for dogs. Quality control is a big problem with these products since what’s on the label is not necessarily what’s in the bottle which is why I mentioned specific brands. These are available on the internet or your vet may carry them.

2. Also, fish oil supplements can be helpful since they have anti-inflammatory properties. Welactin and 3V Derm Caps are good veterinary products and are also available on the internet.

Once started, these supplements should be continued for them to be effective; you wouldn't stop and start them, in other words, like you would drugs...but you may already know this.

3. Another option would be Zeel which is a human combination homeopathic that can be used in conjunction with other NSAID medications and has a very low incidence of adverse effects Dose would be one tablet two to three times a day....I'd go with three times a day for the first 2 weeks, then drop back to twice a day for maintenance.

4. Adequan injections can be quite effective but would have to be given by your vet.

5. Combinations of antioxidants such as Cell Advance 880 or Golden Years

6. Th Indian spice, Turmeric, at a dose of 1000mg/day

I hope this helps, Deb