Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 5 year old cotton, Lucy has a reoccurring rash on her…

Customer Question
My 5 year old cotton...
My 5 year old cotton, Lucy has a reoccurring rash on her back. Treated with antibiotics and cortisone and now cold weather has come so allergies should be lessened. However rash has come back.This is a dog who has never been sick. Super healthy, never had a flea. Never scratched herself. This rash is not particularly itchy. Little sores and scabs, red skin. Dog is sluggish and a little grumpy. This started about 4 months ago when we moved to Brooklyn. I'm taking her to a new vet next Wednesday. What do you think it is.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this "rash" to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are 3 or four little scabs. It's pretty colorless except for the little scabs. If it follows the previous pattern there will be more scabs and the overall skin will look pinker. She doesn't like them being touched too much. It's not thyroid problem which was checked. I don't think fleas because we've never seen a flea. Wondering about mites from birds? Don't see mites however. She definetly seems to be lethargic.

Thank you for the additional information. I would need to shave these areas to see the full extent of the skin lesions. Because I can't be as accurate as I would like to be for you without doing this, I'll opt out which will give another expert the opportunity to offer his/her opinion.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian