Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog was sleep with me on air mattress. Let air out and cane…

Customer Question
Dog was sleep with...

Dog was sleep with me on air mattress. Let air out and cane back in room and he was on his side kicking all legs like he was running in his sleep and turned him over and drooling with tongue hanging out. Rubbed him and put him next to me. Scared. Looking up epilepsy or what to do. Put him in his bed and sleeping again. He is 11 years old toy poodle. Please advise. Visiting relatives and Currently out of town

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Spike

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spike?

I inherited him. Took him from a lady suffering from dementia. Lady said he was taken to vet to check health issues before I got him. Supposedly clean bill of health. Do you think deflating air mattress while he was sleep triggered something?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You appear to be describing a general seizure (previously called gran mal). This wouldn't be related to the air mattress. Brain tumor is the most common cause of these seizures at 11 years of age. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Spike's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if he should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Spike suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm scared because I left the room and not sure how long he was seizing. What if it was longer than 5 minutes? Is there anything I can give him or not give him? Should I feed him ? not sure if he will eat anyhow. He is sleeping again. Scared to leave him alone. Serious wet ears from drooling while lying on his side. Is medicine expensive? Should I try to walk him or leave him alone?

The longer the seizure, the more likely brain damage will occur. There's nothing to give him unless seizures return within 24 hours. You can, however, have his vet perform a complete physical exam including careful auscultation (listening to) of Spike's heart and diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Although unlikely, metabolic disorders which can be detected in that manner, can result in seizures. Yes, you can feed and water him and, yes, it would be best that he weren't left alone for the next 24 hours. He can be walked if he's willing. The most common of the anticonvulsants - phenobarbital - is very inexpensive. The newer anticonvulsants - levetiracetam, zonisamide - are more costly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian