Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My labradoodle has developed a hallowing in the back spine…

Customer Question
My labradoodle has developed...

My labradoodle has developed a hallowing in the back spine with the muscles and bo e tissue on each side higher. It is like a crevice . What can this be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

My labradoodle has an downward curve b her spinal column flabnked by the ones. And

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She is bnot sowing Abby pain,but just by feeling her I noticed the back spine Irving downward

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

She is 9years old and has been recovering from thrombocytopenia for several months still on medications, it acting bormally

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Meeka

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meeka?

She is now eating well, and has good energy --no behavioral problems

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Which medication(s) is he taking for his thrombocytoenia? My initial thought was that you're seeing the muscle wasting associated with chronic glucocorticoid (steroid) administration.

She's as on prednisone gradually tapering off at the end of 3 months. She is still on Atopica 100 g and Mycophenolate 250 g twice a day.

Thank you. I would attribute the muscle wasting to chronic prednisone administration. You may also be seeing a sagging/"pot belly" appearance due to the prednisone. As the abdominal muscles weaken, the abdominal contents sag away from the topline giving his appearance. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Is the muscle wasting irreversible and what long term effects will it cause? She still will be on the meds and slowly being weaned off in next two months.

No, it's reversible and long term effects aren't likely as long as the prednisone can be completely weaned.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian