Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She has pulled a nail off and it is bleeding we put a four,

Customer Question
She has pulled a...

She has pulled a nail off and it is bleeding we put a four, baking powder and water mixture but it starts bleeding when the mixture comes off what else can we do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 1 month ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

When trying to stop the bleeding, use plain flower or cornstarch. Do not water it down, just cake it on the nail and keep the dog quiet this will stop the bleeding. Another method would be to use a mens shaving Styptic Pencil on the nail. You would moisten the styptic Pencil and apply until it seals and the bleeding stops. The next method would be hold an ice cube to the area where the nail broke to stop the bleeding. Lastly good old direct pressure with a gauze pad or a paper towel placed on the nail. Do not lift the dressing to look.

Keep it on and it should stop. If you use a paper twoel, you can leave the piece of paper sticking to the nail until it falls off. If none of these methods work, you will have to take the dog in for a Vet to cuterize the nail. If you use the plain flour caked on the nail should stop. The best way is to make a little dish of four and hold the paw with the broken nail in the dish with the flour covering the nail.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jav917
Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech