Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

100 lb lab ate a bottle of arnica and zyflamend. An hour or…

Customer Question
100 lb lab ate...

100 lb lab ate a bottle of arnica and zyflamend

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

An hour or 2 ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No perfectly healthy . not acting abnormal at all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
his name is kash. he's a 1 year old lab malamute mix
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm checking those meds now for you.

Zyflamend appears to be very well tolerated and safe.

Arnica can potentially inhibit clotting and lead to bleeding. With that in mind, I would try to do some initial GI decontamination. I would first try to induce vomiting with 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. I would then take her to a vet where they can give activated charcoal to bind what is left.

Lastly, I would check a CBC to check red cell counts and platelet counts. I would also do baseline clotting times. In 24-48 hours i would recheck those to make sure we're not going to have any spontaneous bleeding.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it ok if the charcoal is in the am? i live nowhere close to a all hours vet

After about 4-6 hours, it's not going to help anymore. The drug has to be in the stomach or small intestine for the charcoal to bind to it and prevent absorption.

If you're going to wait, then I would just wait 24 hours and check bloodwork at that time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
alright. i really dont have much of a choice

Oh I understand. You do what you can.

If clotting times are off, then a plasma transfusion can be given to help. I doubt that will be needed, but it's an option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it doesent seem like he ate too much of the arnica. chomped the bottle, but most of the pearls seem to be caught in the rug. ate all the other
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
zyflamed

Ok good. That bodes well for him not having any signs of toxicity. The Zyflamed is pretty safe.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian