Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My girl partially tore her dew claw, she won't let me get…

Customer Question
My girl partially tore...

My girl partially tore her dew claw, she won't let me get near it, what can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Xena, she's 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Xena

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Xena?

No, she's pretty healthy otherwise, she's a border collie/shephard/pit mix

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about Xens. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
Sorry, Xena.
If the digit is not actively bleeding then I wouldn't worry about examining it tonight.
Just allow her to rest and try to reevaluate in the morning. Ensure that she is not licking at it excessively if possible.
It is too sensitive at this point for her to allow you to look at it. If things are not getting better tomorrow you may want to take her in to have it examined and get some pain medication if she's not improving.
Also monitor for any abnormal discharge or evidence of infection.
I hope that helps and please let me know if you have any more questions.
The other reason you may have to take her in as if the part of the digit or nail is just hanging there you may have to have them remove part of the nail if it doesn't fall off....all depending on how bad she injured it.
Any questions?
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week so keep me posted.
Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian