Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Tiny toy poodle has delivered 2 puppies so far since

Customer Question
Tiny toy poodle has...

Tiny toy poodle has delivered 2 puppies so far since starting about 3 hour’s ago. Prior XRay showed 5 puppies. Worried since the second one came 1.5 hours ago and expecting the third...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

She looks fine and the two nursed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?

It’s been 90 min since the last puppy delivered

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Mother is licking

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the puppy eating normally?

And looks calm

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the puppy having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the puppy behaving differently?

Should be delivering 3 more

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

First litter

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

That is definitely concerning if it has been that long in between puppies, is she seeming in distress at all, straining? Any discharge from her vulva at the moment?

This link has been helpful for many of my clients with dogs that are first time moms:

https://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

If she seems to be currently actively contracting, and nothing coming out after 30-60 minutes, that is a red flag for a puppy being stuck.

If mom is not distressed and has not been consistently actively pushing/contracting, they can go as long as 4 hours in between puppies - but if approaching that length of time, or it does change over to active pushing/contracting and nothing happening after 30-60 minutes, we'd want to get her to an emergency clinic ASAP. Sometimes we can help things manually if a pup is stuck, but sometimes they may need an emergency C-section.

Hoping everything proceeds ok for mom and puppies - if you aren't sure about emergency clinic options in your area, you can search by zipcode here: http://vetlocator.com . If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family - this is included in your question fee. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets. Bonuses are never expected but always much appreciated!

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Two more delivered fairly close together about 4 hour’s after the second one.

Just under the wire! And I'm assuming #5 made its appearance by now hopefully?

Hi Dave,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian