Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Im not really certain; he hasn't been eating and had been…

Customer Question
Im not really certain...

Im not really certain; he hasn't been eating and had been lethargic all day it almost seems that he may have hurt his back (large lab retriever) but now he is really in pain and everything is tightened up and he is shivering even though I have him near the heat and covered. he is 6 and 120lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the lab. What is the lab's name?

Zeus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus?

I don't think so

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Given the signs, this is most likely IVDD (intervertebral disc disease). This is where a disc ruptures or herniates in the back pressing on the spinal cord which causes weakness and nerve roots which causes pain. Signs can be as mild as reluctance to walk/ climb stairs to as severe as full paralysis.

Diagnosis is made on neuro exam and then can be confirmed with advanced imaging like MRI, CT or myelogram.

Treatment is based on the stage of the disease:
> Mild weakness/ pain can be treated with strict exercise restriction and anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) + other pain meds (Gabapentin, Tramadol). Crate confinement for the majority of the day with only short leash walks outside is key, and I like to do this for 1-3 weeks.
> Severe neurologic deficits and paralysis require back decompressive surgery to correct.

It sounds like your dog will do fine with the more conservative management- pain meds and rest. If you're able to get him seen in the next 12-24 hours to get started, that would be ideal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian