Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog ate a bottle of zinc lozenges this evening, Dogs…

Customer Question
Hi.our dog ate a...

Hi.our dog ate a bottle of zinc lozenges this evening

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Dogs name is***** is about 3 She weighs about 65 lbs. bottle had 55 pills , 23 mg each

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?

No, thats it. She had dinner a little while before though we just gave her peroxide and I have a bottle of activated charcoal if necessary

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago did she ingest this?

How long ago did you give the peroxide?

How much peroxide did you give her?

Is it medical grade activated charcoal?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We left for dinner 3 hours ago. Sometime between 1 and 3 hours.
Peroxide was given about 30 min ago and again 5 min ago. She hasn't vomited yet. Gave her 4 teaspoons twice
Charcoal is 560 mg per pill. Says not intended for use in accidental treatment in poisoning

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, with those pills, you have to give A LOT, especially in a larger dog to make a difference. They are only meant for treating upset stomach issues in people, not for binding poisons. The medical grade activated charcoal contains 104 mg per ml, and a dog her size would require 130 mls. Plus, the formulation with sorbitol helps to evacuate it from her GI tract faster. Anyway, she needs about 60-70 mls of 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. This is 2-2.5 ounce or 4-5 tablespoons, which are 3x larger than teaspoons. So, she needs a lot more peroxide than that. After inducing vomiting, she really needs to be started on intravenous fluids because zinc causes destruction of red blood cells, which releases a lot of hemoglobin into the bloodstream, which can damage the kidneys. You can most likely get some zinc out of her system, but enough has been absorbed into the bloodstream by now. They may be able to give a medication to bind the excess zinc in the bloodstream to make it inactive as well. She ingested a lot of zinc, but if treatment is instituted early, the prognosis is usually good for full recovery. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your v

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What we found on internet is that 50-100 mg of zing per kg is poisonous. She weighs about 32 kg so she consumed about 1280 mg of zing which should be below poinonous level according to what we read on the internet. Are you saying she has consumed a lethal level or are you advising us to be cautious and take her to the vet?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We also just found vomit from before we got home with whole undigested food in it so she vomited before we got home

You are correct in that toxic dose. She is right under the low end of the toxic dose, so there is a chance she will be okay, but there should still be concern that this amount could cause problems. So, when you are so close to that toxic level, it is usually recommended to err on the side of caution because some pets require a lower dose to cause problems, and some require a higher dose. That dosage range is just an average. If she had ingested half of that, I would be far less concerned. Make sense. At the very least, I would have activated charcoal with sorbitol given. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Daisy is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian