Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Her nose is dry and just noticed there is some blood. It's…

Customer Question
Her nose is dry...

Her nose is dry and just noticed there is some blood. It's always been wet until now. Note that: It's very cold here, so weather/heater could be a cause. She has bad teeth; I hope it's not related to an abcessed tooth. She is about 10 years old. Can I apply a home remedy to the nose, like neosporon or cocoanut oil?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Layla

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Layla?

There is a minor little growth (size of a small mole) protuding through her muzzle fur on her right side of muzzle.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would be happy to help you

Is this the first time that there has been blood- just one nostril?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One nostril. It's dry and cracked at the top (12:00 position). One big crack.

Okay

I am not too concerned just yet

Is it getting cold where you are?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
about 19 degrees

Ouch

Okay I think that this is due to the dry/cold air

Lets try this:

Put him in bathroom and turn shower on hot for ten minutes

Repeat three times a day for a few days

Put neo-synephrine into the nostril twice daily for two days

Update me tomorrow AM

Okay?

Paul

That helps!

This is a different problem then I was imagining

That looks like an ulcerative lesion at the mucocutaneous junction of her planum nasale and skin

But we can try and see if empirical therapy will work

You can try a topical eye lubrication ointment to see if we can get it to heal

I would still try the humidification also

If it does not improve then a biopsy would be needed

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian