Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

One or both of my 80 lb GSD’s ate 4 oz of rat/ mouse poison.

Customer Question
One or both of...

One or both of my 80 lb GSD’s ate 4 oz of rat/ mouse poison. I called the emergency number on the back of the box of poison and they said that the dogs would be OK, but when I’m using the formula above it’s not showing that

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

I found the box. Part of it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns. I am sorry to hear that one, or both of your pups may have ingested 4 ounces of rat poison.

What is the active ingredient in this poison?

Most rat poisons are anticoagulants (warfarin, pindone, coumafuryl, coumachlor, isovaleryl indanedione, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, brodifacoum, bromadiolone, difethiolone), but some calcify tissues (cholecalciferol), some are neurotoxins due to brain swelling (bromethalin), and others are phosphide rodenticides which produce phosphine gas in the stomach and can lead to bloating and liver and kidney failure and seizures.

I need to know which one they ingested to know what sort of effects we may see, and whether we need to worry.

Also how long has it been since the ingestion?

Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2-5 hours. Bromadiolone. No peroxide
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They told me to give K1
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No symptoms

Thanks very much. It is too late to induce vomiting now. We need to do so within 2, at most 3 hours of ingestion. Since you don't have peroxide readily available it would likely be too late by the time it would be given.

Bromodiolone is a long acting anticoagulant, so yes K-1 for a good 6-8 weeks would be the antidote. With long acting anticoagulants we won't see symptoms for 48-72 hours, it takes that long for clotting factors already made to be depleted. So no symptoms would be expected now.

The minimum toxic dose for an 80 pound or 36.36kg dog (80lbs/ 2.2lbs per kg = 36.36kgs) would be 0.05mg per kg or 1.82mgs for a 36.36kg dog.

4 ounces is 113,398mgs.

But I doubt the poison is pure toxin. What does the label say? Usually it will say a percentage of toxin in the poison.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
005%

Is it a 0.005% product?

If so then of the 4 ounces (113,398mgs) 0.0002ounces (5.67mgs) is poison. So yes, they did eat a toxic amount, because 1.82mgs is potentially enough to be toxic for an 80 pound dog.

You have a couple options.

One is an emergency clinic visit tonight to give activated charcoal to decrease absorption and start vitamin K-1.

The second is getting them to your veterinarian tomorrow and starting vitamin K-1 with an injection tomorrow and oral medication to follow.

But I definitely think that they should be treated. Vitamin K-1 is a prescription product, do NOT use the over the counter vitamin K, it will NOT help.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pups. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian