Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Max who is a 27 pound bichon has been prescribed animax for…

Customer Question
Max who is a...

Max who is a 27 pound bichon has been prescribed animax for an outer ear flap infection. It is a prescription and my question is what medication would do the same without the prescription?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

The infected area formed a bubble and he scratches it making it bleed. It is about the size of a large marble (about 3/4 inch in diameter.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

Animax is actually a combination product - it's got a steroid for anti inflammatory effect, an antibiotic, and an antifungal.

In order to replicate its effects, you'll need to use 3 over the counter products:

Hydrocortisone cream for anti inflammatory,

Neosporin or Bacitracin for antibiotic,

and an antifungal such as Tinactin or Lotrimin.

So, clearly, the Animax is easier, and is likely to be more effective, but the other products mentioned will accomplish similar effects.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew