Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 month old beagle who is housebroken however the…

Customer Question
I have a 10 month...
I have a 10 month old beagle who is housebroken however the last couple of days he’s been peeing more often and peeing while in his crate which he never does. I also just noticed drool dripping from his mouth which also never happens. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Is he still eating and drinking well?

Is he neutered?

No change to diet, treats or bones etc. no torn up trash . He did catch and kill a mole 1 week ago. He didn’t eat it, as soon as I saw him with it I took it away. It was still intact. His drooling started 2 days ago though. He is not neutered, but he is eating and drinking normally

There's a very good chance that the accidents and frequent urination are linked to a urinary tract infection. These are not altogether uncommon in young dogs. It would be worthwhile to schedule to have Louie examined by your vet and a urinalysis performed. Typical treatment involves a few days of antibiotics and sometimes pain medication if urination is uncomfortable for the pet. We usually see benefits of this therapy within 24 hours of the medications being started. Keep a close eye on Louie for vertical urination and not just horizontal. Horizontal surface urination is typically associated with urinary concerns where vertical "marking" with being sexually intact. Marking can begin around 6 months of age for males who are 'early bloomers'. If you find him hiking his leg in the house, consider a belly band and having him sexually altered if he's not to be used for breeding or kept whole for an intended purpose.

As for the drooling, some dogs experience nausea when they have a UTI. You may see benefit from giving pepcid 1-2x daily. If this doesn't help, ask your vet to perform an examination. At 10 months of age the potential for drooling due to foreign material in the mouth, retained teeth and so forth is present. If you elect to try the pepcid, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight. Watch closely for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, change in appetite, etc. If this happens, an examination is indicated.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Louie today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse