Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Two days ago he got a small limp by evening he lost control…

Customer Question
Two days ago he...

Two days ago he got a small limp by evening he lost control of his legs like hips bad, he pooped big when limp then some after losing control of hips his stomach is hard he eats and drinks but hasn’t pooped since night before last he can’t walk good he has gone pee I took to vet who said mayb he had a stroke she didn’t have exray said give him aspirin I did that and also thinking mayb he got infection been giving amoxicillin started last night on aspirin and amoxicillin I worried something more can be done but my Mony won’t go into thousand to fix him he has bad teeth and twelve years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not that I can think of he is pekpooshitzu 13 lbs

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Did your veterinarian discuss doing some blood work to see if there are other contributing factors here than a stroke?

Unfortunately, this could also be a spinal or brain tumor growing internally.

You can look into acupuncture to try and get some neurological function back to help him walk.

Joint supplements can also help but are not a quick fix here and will take to help.

Does he have a heart condition?

There may be other anti-inflammatory medications we can put him on that could help with inflammation better than the aspirin, but if he has a heart condition the aspirin can help.

It took so long I took him to another vet idk he is fighting for his life at moment his heart is fine no disc problem in spine maybe blockage under pelvis got on heavier aspirin and stomach stuf sulfate and antibiotics I guess I cut try acetaminophen small dose
I m concerned about bowel movements got laxitv and enema if this cost more don’t reply I m calling the vet at 8 am

If this is a spinal injury he may not regain function. Nerve damage in dogs is similar to in people. When there has been a catastrophic injury we often do not get function back. This may mean that he will never regain control on his hind end, bowels, urination etc. I know this may be hard to hear, but I do not want you to be blindsided if he stops improving or starts to get worse.

Surgery would give him a better shot, but this can be very expensive.

You can give him enemas if needed, but if he is not in need of one it could make things worse.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

Acupuncture can sometimes help them regain function ( like I had said above) and may offer a way to try and keep him with us longer.

Often I will reach for steroids to try and reduce inflammation and save the spinal cord, but he cannot be on anti-inflammatory medication (like aspirin) because they are very likely to develop gastric bleeding and ulcers.

Good luck with your pup. I am so very sorry both of you are going through this. I will keep you in my thoughts and your dog in my prayers.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian