Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a shitsu with 13 years she is not seeing well this…

Customer Question
I have a shitsu...

I have a shitsu with 13 years she is not seeing well this very weak I could not walk right and sometimes I feel pain and cry I do not know what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Small dog shitszu

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Melany

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

I'm sorry to hear of this with Melany. Please clarify a few things for me...

1) Re: "not seeing well" - is she bumping into things, becoming lost in your home or outside?

2) Re: "very weak" - is she falling, stumbling, or ataxic ("drunken sailor")?

3) Re: "I feel pain and cry" - did you mean that Melany appears painful and is crying or, instead, you're quite upset by Melany's behavior?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she bumping into things, becoming lost in your home or outside? yes,- is she falling, stumbling, or ataxic ("drunken sailor") yes she’s crying and painful

Thank you for the additional information. Regretfully, she's a critically ill dog in need of the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. While her symptoms are important, they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Her vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, blood pressure assessment, and perhaps imaging in the form of thoracic (chest) X-rays and abdominal X-rays or ultrasound (preferable). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian