Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our house shares a yard with our landlord. They have a two…

Customer Question
Our house shares a...

Our house shares a yard with our landlord. They have a two year old German Shepherd who is very aggressive with our little Chihuahua. Even to the point of breaking through a screen door to get to her. We have only been in our home for a few weeks and want to get this issue under control. I fear is with the aggressive nature of this dog...he will maul our Chihuahua.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He is a two year old German Shepherd that has not be socialized with other dogs. Our Chihuahua is a typical yappie little dog who goes to the sliding glass door and yaps at the German Shepherd who then tore out the screen door and if we shut the glass door he tries to come though there too.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He has been safe so far and hasn't been hurt are fear is that the German Shepherd will break through the glass door.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

The Shepherd is LYKA and the Chihuahua is MOTO

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

The Shepherd is good with people with typical puppy type behaviors of jumping on you a sometimes nipping.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

So Lyka has access to the backyard which is fenced in. This backyard then has access to your landlords entrance into the building and to your home too? There is no way to keep her from being right outside your screen door?

Thank you point well taken. What about electric fence?

I'll be honest, an electric fence is something that can work, but it can fail. I've seen cases over my years at the ER where dogs have "blown" threw an electric fence as they see something on the other side of it that just gets them so angered / stimulated that they forget all their training as to the fence and they just run threw it. All it would take is for her to get threw her electric fence one time to most likely have a very bad end result. A German Shepherd versus a Chihuahua wouldn't end up well for the small one. It would take a lot of work and training and time to even give Lyka a chance to be social with her in a good manner. I'm going to be honest and say that most likely this situation is one where things need to be done to physically keep the two apart.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian