Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Gave her allegra and now she's tweaking out. She's frantic…

Customer Question
Gave her allegra and...

Gave her allegra and now she's tweaking out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She's frantic and wide awake eating and drinks just fine but like paranoid

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Nowhere

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

She's tweaking out

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

I fed her she ate it all no she peeed

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

She's just wide awake

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Will she come down from the high?
Need help
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

How much does your dog weigh and how many milligrams of fexofenadine (Allegra/Allegra D?) were given to her? Although there's been little clinical experience with fexofenadine in animal patients, adverse effects aren't common. Sedation, central nervous system depression and gastrointestinal effects are possible. She sounds as if there were also pseudoephedrine in the product (Allegra-D) which would be causing what you're seeing.

20 pounds and 1/2 a pill. She is very anxious

Thank you. I believe she ingested Allegra-D which contains 120 mg of pseudoephedrine. Half of a pill contains 60 mg of pseudoephedrine. 60 mg/20 lbs = 3 mg/lb which is the dose at which dogs develop adverse reactions to pseudoephedrine such as hyperactivity/agitation, increased heart rate, wide open pupils, and hyperthermia. Deaths have occurred at greater than 4.5 mg/lb. She should remain safe albeit agitated for up to 24 hours because that pseudoephedrine is in an extended release form in Allegra-D. There's no specific antidote but a vet can administer a phenothiazine tranquilizer such as acepromazine to treat her hyperactivity and agitation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Took her to vet and they gave her the tranquilizer and a flush. She's still a litte jittery and only slept 4 hours. I have her another tranquilizer at 4 am she's sleeping now. She has a bad leg and from running around crazy for 2 days she can't walk on back leg. She overused it. I think she's much better now. Will she sleep for a long time now? And if she wakes should I give her another xyanx?

Thank you for the update. Yes, between being exhausted and the tranquilizer she could sleep for a day. Xanax is a benzodiazepine that should be avoided. The tranquilizer of choice is acepromazine or another phenothiazine.

Thank you for your help. I'm in the hole $400 after 2 trips to the vet. Both saying the same as you did. She's perfectly fine today!!���� back to normal. She slept 24 hour and is feeling great this morning. I feel so bad and will never do that again. No neroligical damage. She's walking, drinking, eating, pooping and happy. She was totally tripping for 2 days. My poor baby�� But thank you!! Now how do I make sure I'm not on a monthly subscription with this ask? I paid $19 to talk to you and $400 in vet bills I need to make sure I'm not charged anymore?

Thank you for the good update. Please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or 1-***-***-**** for help in that regard. Please rate which will remove your question from the list.

Don't know how to rate you? And my dog is great!! She's defiantly more attached to me now but she came thru with flying colors��

Good to hear! You should be presented with stars or smiley faces to click on once I post this. If you don't see them, please let me know.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian