Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Thank you. Yesterday, my Mini-pin was lying, wrapped in her…

Customer Question
Hello. Thank you. Yesterday...

Hello. Thank you. Yesterday, my Mini-pin was lying, wrapped in her bed cover, as she usually does, when suddenly she jumped up and started yelping in pain and restlessly pacing the floor, limping, with left hind leg in the air. I had a very difficult time calming her down and she seemed to not want to be comforted by me and she is always very affectionate towards me. Very troubling, because she screamed in the same way today, limping and scurrying around the floor, intermittently.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Honey and she is seven years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Honey?

Wow! You are really fast! She is mostly very restless, always acts hungry. She's fed only once a day, by my daughter and granddaughter. (She's my grandaughter 's dog.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Honey, please?

My primary concern in a middle aged min pin acting as Honey is doing is degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"). Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted (often due to painful muscle spasms associated with a disk), having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking/panting (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in Honey's back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Honey's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about her spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), Honey would need the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. Salkin, for this initial info! Honey has been visiting us for the holidays and doesn't like cold, especially floors. So, we made a thin towel palette for her, in place of the usual sleeping pad she has at home. It was chilly, so we let Honey sleep on the foot of the bed last night and this morning, I noticed her hesitating to jump down. To my surprise as I reached to give her an assist, she squeeled sharply and bit me, almost puncturing my index finger! A first, after all these years! Honey loves Grandma "GG" (me) so I know something's very wrong!
Can she be given a low dose aspirin, or 1/4 of a regular Bayer aspirin?

Thank you for the additional information. In terms of over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian