Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A few days ago I walked my dog as usual and gave her a bath…

Customer Question
Hi , a few...

Hi , a few days ago I walked my dog as usual and gave her a bath right after . The next day she started limping with one rear leg. Yesterday she started not walking or getting up from her bed. Both legs are limp and she will not bear any weight on them at all. Could she have s fracture or torn ligament ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Ava she is 6 year old shorkie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ava?

She has broken her left leg when she was 2 and two years ago hurt the same leg, but is otherwise healthy

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 6 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

While both of your suggestions are a possibility, (fracture or ligament tear) give the breed of dog and the fact that she is not getting up at all to walk, I would look into a spinal problem where there may be a disc pressing on the spinal cord or a ruptured disc. If you stand the dog up and turn the feet under and she does not right the feet , then I would certainly have her seen ASAP.

Sometimes what happens is the soft tissue that cushions the discs turns hard and presses on the nerve, sometimes the the disc ruptures. Both can cause rear leg paralysis.

Here is a little bit more about this for further reading

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2105&aid=418

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Intervertebral-Disk-Disease/Treatment.aspx

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive