Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

New problem with Sprocket. The tar like diarrhea has

Customer Question
stopped, but now I think...
New problem with Sprocket. The tar like diarrhea has stopped, but now I think she has suddenly developed a urinary infection. She just asked to go out and squatted four times. When I brought her in, she had an accident and the there is blood in the urine.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I reviewed your previous conversation with Dr. B. It sounds as if Sprocket is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine - and hematuric (blood in the urine). A bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) is the most common cause of stanguria and hematuria in an elderly female dog. Less commonly, uroliths (stones) or neoplasia (transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra) are found. Sprocket's vet will want to obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abdominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine - and perform a complete urinalysis looking for the presence of bacteria or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells - any of which suggest a UTI. If found, a broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of threapy is completed in order to ensure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Alternatively, her vet will suggest culturing the urine to determine the very best antibiotic to prescribe. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I took her to the emergency vet last night. She said she did not have enough in her bladder for a sample, but she gave her a shot of Convenia to last for two weeks. Sprocket slept through the rest of the night and has only gone out twice this morning, she isn't currently asking to go out constantly, as she was. It's been difficult to get her to eat much of anything for several days, but I just got her to eat some turkey baby food and a little chicken. Stool is still soft, but brown, not black. Any other suggestions?

Thank you for the additional information. If an infection is susceptible to the cephalosporin antibiotic (cefovecin) in the injection you should see a positive change in Sprocket within the initial week from last night. It's important to wait two days after the two weeks is up and then have Sprocket's vet obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of the bladder through the abdominal wall (the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine) in order to perform a complete urinalysis to make sure that Sprocket's urinary tract has been sterilized. She should regain appetence as her discomfort abates and you can help in that regard by administering aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.