Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog threw up this morning 3x and had some runny pooh, but…

Customer Question
My dog threw up...

My dog threw up this morning 3x and had some runny pooh, but is eating and drinking normally and behaving like herself.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

She had some new treats the day before but that was it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Lola and a year and a half. We just adopted her from a shelter two months. Her age is an estimate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?

She was chewing on an antler toy, but i don’t believe she swallowed any of it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any blood in the feces?

2- So besides the loose stool and vomiting she is behaving as usual, correct?

3- How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No blood that I saw. Yes, she is behaving normally. We went on a walk, she played tug of war. Ate all her food and drank water. She is 40 lbs

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She’s had two bm’s today. The one this morning was oooser than this evening. There may have been the teeniest drop of what looked like blood, but absolutely no blood in tonight’s pooh.

Friend, vomiting and loose stool can be caused by many different conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting and loose stool, the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. No exercise when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis as an initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon! Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian