Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Wire Fox Terrier has been shaking his head often, and…

Customer Question
My Wire Fox Terrier...

My Wire Fox Terrier has been shaking his head often, and scratches at one ear with a hind paw. The vet said it wasn't anything to worry about, but it has been occurring more often. What to do?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am working on a response right now and would be happy to help you with your question.
I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.

If your pet is showing signs of discomfort and is scratching at the ear, then there is obviously something going on. I see these pets all the time. Often when I do an otic exam, there may not be obvious disease present as far as an extensive amount of build up, but sometimes there can be inflammation and itchiness that can cause a pet to itch. Often times these symptoms are allergy related.

Couple things that I would recommend.

1. Antihistamine- If he is not on a antihistamine right now then I would try to see if it helps with the scratching. IF you give me his weight, I can give you some meds that you can try.

2. There is a great ear medication that I like for inflammation of the ear canal. It can be used for various ear conditions especially if there isn't a lot of build up but the ears are just itchy. The medication is called Zymox HC. You may want to check with your vet to ensure that this would be a good option for your pet since I can not do a physical exam.

Obviously it is best to have your vet examine your pet and prescribe medications as needed, but I just wanted to give you my best suggestion based on what you are describing.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions and let me know his weight so I can give you the dose of a few antihistamines.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for about a week.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have more questions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Just wondering how things are going and if you have any questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian