Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have two dogs that way about 12 to 15 pounds who ate a…

Customer Question
I have two dogs...

I have two dogs that way about 12 to 15 pounds who ate a good portion of honeybaked ham should I induced vomiting or should they get pair it with approximately an hour ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

One dog is Toby he’s probably five the other is shadow and she is probably nine

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

One dog is Toby he’s probably five the other is shadow and she is probably nine Also I’m located in Mesquite Nevada

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, honey baked ham is not toxic to dogs. But, as with any dietary indiscretion they can develop diarrhea, vomiting, pancreatitis, etc. I would not induce vomiting, I would wait; there is a very good possibility that nothing will happen. If they develop vomiting and diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If they continue to vomit after doing the above they will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter