Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 70lb 3 year old bulldog just ate a bar of ivory soap!

Customer Question
My 70lb 3 year old...
My 70lb 3 year old bulldog just ate a bar of ivory soap ! What should I do ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Do you know if he broke it into smaller pieces?

I’m not sure

Did you see him eat the soap? Or how do you know he ate it?

He was in the tub , chewing , with soap on his mouth !! The ivory soap was gone !
Will he be okay ?

1- How big was the soap, new?

2- How long has it been since he ate it?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Thank you

1- How big was the soap, new?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Friend, the soap is not going to be toxic, very likely that he may develop diarrhea or vomiting otherwise he will be fine. Less likely if the soap was big we need to be concern about an obstruction. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the soap in the feces.

2- If during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Doug,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Yadi. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian