Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has itchy flaky coat. What can i give him? He is bits…

Customer Question
My dog has itchy...

My dog has itchy flaky coat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

What can i give him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He is bits my his back end has but most his hair off in places

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Snakes rotwieller hes 10 ish

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

We had fleas over the summer bad and he has been like this since.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

this will cost $27 total?

I'm sorry to hear of this with Snakes. It sounds as if he still has a flea problem and a flea saliva allergy has also arisen. This is a delayed hypersensitivity reaction that can arise many days after the last flea has bitten him. Our dermatologists tell us to apply an over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage/Advocate, a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or, preferably, one of the newer prescription products available from Snake's vet to which fleas are less likely to have become resistant even if fleas aren’t seen. Dogs can be such effective groomers so as to eliminate all evidence of flea infestation. Dogs who remain primarily indoors can contract fleas because we walk them in on us and flea eggs and larva can remain viable in your home for months. As you turn on heaters at this time of year, egg hatches are common. If the area between the edge of Snakes's rib cage and tail (the “saddle” area) is particularly excoriated, a flea saliva allergy should be the most important differential diagnosis. In severe cases, an anti-allergenic prescription glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisone will work wonders for dogs allergic to the saliva of the flea. If you have other pets they may have fleas too but may not be allergic to the flea’s saliva.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. For questions concerning your financial obligation to the site please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or 1-***-***-**** for help/

No the fleas are gone

Yes, but a flea saliva allergy can still arise. Please see my post timestamped 7:25 PM (my time). Our messages may have crossed.

is there relief besides frontline cause we done that and he needs something a home remedy now
Yeah I believe he has a allergy from it. This was our first experience with fleas.
Because I can't afford to bring him in. How do I take care of it.

Many populations of fleas are now resistant to the fipronil in Frontline. He needs a prescription flea product available through a vet and a steroid such as prednisone and if his skin is secondarily infected, he'll need a prescription antibiotic as well. The only over the counter "home remedy" is an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 50 mg every 8-12 hours but antihistamines aren't reliably effective against a flea saliva allergy. You can also bathe him in a non-insecticidal shampoo and follow up with a soothing oil rinse - either a oil rinse designed for dogs or for people. Please continue our conversation if you wish.