Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 month old Dane licked a bald spot onto my 12 yo labs…

Customer Question
Hi, my 9...

Hi, my 9 month old Dane licked a bald spot onto my 12 yo labs head today. The lab is the sweetest old girl and would never stop him. Any thoughts? They are all together during the day while I work.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the lab will be able to digest that. What is the lab's name?

Ellie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?

She's old and a mom to my 8 yo lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?

The Dane is only 8 mos old

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. One of the best ways to stop this excessive grooming is to spray the areas on Ellie where your Dane might lick with bitter apple spray. This will be quite harmless to Ellie but as the name suggests this product has such a bitter taste that he will think twice before trying it again, of course, it would be harmless to your Dane as well.

2. You can buy Bitter Apple spray from your vet, better pet stores and online. Follow this link for a typical example: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the temp solution, is there a reason the Dane is doing this, a root problem? Dominance, attention, boredom?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Well, it might not be just a temporary solution, if you apply it a few times the hope would be that he would then associate this licking behaviour with a bad taste and so put him off in the future. Aversion therapy ...

2. Hard to why a dog might do this, probably just showing attention to Ellie, many such behaviours will slowly stop as the dog gets older in my experience though.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hard to know why. Hm. I'd think after 30 years of doing something you could come to some sort of conclusion. Thanks for the homeopathic remedy from Google. Lesson learned.

Sadly there are no obvious " magic bullet" solutions in this sort of situation, you can just take a common sense approach and see what happens, however, I can tell you that I have encountered just this sort of situation on a number of occasions in the past and have found the Bitter Apple Spray useful. We also use it when a dog is chewing their wounds, bandages or plaster casts, and it really can help, it's worth a try in your dog's case.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I know this is a frustrating problem for you, would you like me to opt out so another expert can give their opinion?

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian