Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate some honey baked ham. Luly, 16 months. She's a 10…

Customer Question
She ate some honey...

She ate some honey baked ham

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Luly, 16 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luly?

She's a 10 pound Malshi...ate one slice

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thankfully, there's nothing toxic in that honey baked ham. Luly had a nice snack. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but she wasn't intoxicated and so there's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Okay, thanks! It was probably a 6 inch by 3 inch piece of ham, mostly because she's little. I was just worried about pancreatitis. Should she be okay one it passes thru her system. A little Pepto okay?

You're quite welcome. The fat content in that ham doesn't constitute a risk for pancreatitis. Yes, I would be surprised if you saw any adverse effects from her inappropriate ingestion. Pepto Bismol can be dosed at in the wide range of 0.1 - 1 mL per pound of body weight at 6-8 hour intervals. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian