Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave my Scotch Collie his heartworm pill yesterday,

Customer Question
I gave my Scotch...

I gave my Scotch Collie his heartworm pill yesterday, Interceptor Plus. He had a strong reaction last month, so I was going to skip it this month since it's winter. But changed my mind. He won't eat a thing, plus his gums are a little bloody--but he has also been going for the shoveled snow which may contain some ice melt salt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the Collie can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Collie's name and age?

Simon, 5 yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simon?

I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Simon, please?

The milbemycin in Interceptor Plus is safe at egregious doses – beagles have tolerated a single oral dose of 200X the labeled dose; rough-coated collies – one of the breeds that can be genetically susceptible to adverse effects from milbemycin tolerated 20X labeled doses. The praziquantel in that product is also well-tolerated. An oral LD50 (the dose that kills 50% of test subjects) couldn't be determined in dogs as at doses greater than 91 mg/lb, the drug induced vomiting.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Hi Dr. Salkin, it turned out to be thrombocytopenia, from what we're not sure. Extreme Symptoms came on very quickly--seizures soon after I wrote. Rushed to Vet, did all they could, but this morning he was in a coma and we put him to sleep.

My condolences for your loss of Simon. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Thank you

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?