Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog a Pomerania has been on sildenafil for the past three…

Customer Question
My dog a Pomerania...

My dog a Pomerania has been on sildenafil for the past three years and has been doing great. His prescription ran out and he was without the meds for a few days. He started having difficulty breathing, loss of energy, etc.. he is now back on the meds starting day 2. Is this normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

After not taking his sildenafil for 3 days he started having difficulty breathing, and was tired. We started his medication again yesterday. I want to know if his reaction is normal and how long will it take for the sildenafil to kick back in.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

Simba

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Yes, it is normal for them to begin showing symptoms soon after not receiving a drug that improves the cardiovascular system function.

Without the vasodilation, bloodpressure bounces back to possibly higher levels than it was before putting a lot of pressure on the heart and lungs. When this occurs the pet begins to decompensate and show symptoms. You should see improvement after another 24 hours. If Simba is still struggling tomorrow then you need to contact your regular veterinarian and get him an appointment and check to see if we need to adjust the dosage.

Sorry, the site was down and I was unable to log back on until now to see if you had any further questions.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.