Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is diabetic & allergic to rice pea flax soybean

Customer Question
Hi My dog Murphy...

Hi My dog Murphy is diabetic & allergic to rice pea flax soybean barley wheat grain peanut & corn I’ve been making dog meatloaf & experimenting with raw foods but his stomach is growling like crazy He also had mild case of pancreatitis recently He does prefer the cooked food but will ear

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry Murphy has that. The Expert will know what to do. How old is Murphy?

Just turned 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Murphy?

He’s going blind & I’m looking into cataracts surgery for him

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
What can I give him to settle his stomach
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

To answer you directly, you can administer an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg per pound of body weight at 12 hour intervals and you can add a "coating agent" such as bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate) dosed in the wide range of 0.1 - 1 mL per pound of body weight 3-4 times daily. Please let me know if you would like a balanced home-cooked recipe which should be hypoallergenic for Murphy and appropriate for both a diabetic and a mild case of pancreatitis.