Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My boxer dog ,girl, has started limping and holding up a…

Customer Question
Hello, my boxer dog...

Hello, my boxer dog ,girl, has started limping and holding up a back leg, we have not seen her injury

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is nothing in her foot. She had tplo surgery this time last year so she can’t have torn or snappedthe cruciate as she doesn’t have one? She has a metal plate in her leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dog?

That would be the main details. She is A very muscular dog who lives on a dairy farm and is very athletic although slightly overweight perhaps but not by much

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paiul Brazzell here

Has the weather been cold lately?

Does she lift up the leg when she is indoors and outdoors?

Paul

We live in the orkney islands where it is always cold. She does it indoors and outdoors

Okay thanks

I had three dogs and we had this procedure done five times by our boarded surgeon

One of our dogs had issues with limping post-op but not this far out so I tend to agree with you

That said the first thing we want to do is x-ray the leg to ensure that there are no issues with the implant- metallosis, osteomyelitis

At the same time they can do an orthopedic exam to evaluate the leg

In the interim you can give Aspirin at 10.0 mg/kh twice daily with food and rest her- only outside for potty breaks

Okay?

Paul

I can try that. Being on the farm she is never on a lead and runs with her sister all day, another boxer girl. I will rest her, I’ve been giving her metacalm but I think it is hard on her stomach, thanku

You are very welcome!

Please update me tomorrow AM

And you can rate me now- I will leave the link open so you can update me and not incur more costs

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian