Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 3 month old English bulldog we have had her about…

Customer Question
We have a 3...

We have a 3 month old English bulldog we have had her about 5 weeks. She is teething and biting me a lot she is just playing but hurts and I bleed sometimes. I have thumped the on the nose and shouted NO used a spray bottle with water and a firm no. Worked a little at first but not now. When she bites me now I put her in her kennel until she calms down. I don’t know what else to do with her. Do you have any suggestions me and my husband both are late 60’s so don’t need the biting and pulling on our clothes when we walk.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No , her feet look fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the Old English Bulldog's name?

Izzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzy?

She constantly chews on something I think having trouble teething.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Izzy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is Izzy going to puppy classes or are you planning on enrolling?

Does she know any basic commends yet? Such as sit?

We are not going to classes yet. She does know how to sit when told

Great. That is a good starting point. I would strongly recommend that you get her into puppy classes as soon as possible however for multiple reasons. It is very important that she be exposed to other types of people and other types of dogs so that she learns not to be frightened by them in the future. Many problem behaviors arise later on because dogs develop fear aggression when they encounter something that they never saw before and it makes them scared.

As far as the play biting, I am going to forward an excellent summary on how to react when that occurs. All puppies mouth things, including you, but they need to learn that if they bite too hard, it is not good. If you react like a littermate would. by letting out a yelp, they will get the point, but you need to be sure to reward them for releasing. That is where it is good to immediately go to a commend then, so that when she does oblige, she gets rewarded. This is outlined in the link. LINK HERE

There is another link that teaches the concept of nothing in life is free. This teaches her that she needs to perform a command and be rewarded before simple things she does in her day to day life, such as eating, going outside, etc. Here is the link. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Thank you I will try the links.

You are most welcome. Good luck with her!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian