Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My senior dog has been pacing at night and now is doing it…

Customer Question
My senior dog has...

My senior dog has been pacing at night and now is doing it during the day and will not lay down to sleep. This is very unusual behavior for her. She seems anxious and wants to be under my feet. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Callie was a stray I rescued years ago. I believe she is about 14 but all in all in good shape

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Callie?

No really

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, when a dog is pacing excessively this can be a sign of pain. As far as the source of the pain it can be abdominal pain secondary to bladder stones, kidney disease, tumors, etc. Or, she could have a neuromuscular problem like back pain, arthritis, etc. However, in an older dog, we also have to consider "Cognitive Dysfunction," basically her brain is getting old and is degenerating.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family to rule out the above medical conditions. You can also discuss with your vet about a trial with a pain medication and anti-inflammatory medication like Rimadyl to see if she stops pacing. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian