Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Older dog (over 12 years old) Liver count is over 900. No…

Customer Question
Older dog (over 12...

Older dog (over 12 years old) Liver count is over 900. No physical symptoms. Eating OK, bio functions normal, no weight loss. Vet is doing ultrasound tomorrow. Not sure what he is looking for exactly. He mentioned tumors. which freaks me out thinking that it's cancer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She takes 5 walks a day that are at least 3/4 of a mile. Seems absolutely fine. So shocking.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry too hear you are concerned about your dog's liver. Do you know which liver value is over 900? There are many liver values on blood tests.

For instance, an ALT of over 900 would be alarming, and I would expect signs of liver disease (vomiting, loss of appetite, weight loss). An ALKP of over 900 may not indicate serious illness at all.

Alkp

Thanks. Alkaline phosphatase can go up just with age; dogs can get an age related benign liver condition called nodular hyperplasia that can elevate the ALKP. I have seen ALKP as high as 12.000, so 900 is really not all that high.

ALKP is a marker of inflammation in the liver. You could try giving liver supplements such as milk thistle, Denamarin, or SAMe, and see if the ALKP goes down.

If you are really worried, you can have an ultrasound scan of the liver to see if there is anything to worry about, if there is nodular hyperplasia, etc.

If the albumin, BUN, glucose, and bilirubin are all normal, she still has normal liver function.

Another possibility is a hormonal disorder called Cushing's disease; that can elevate the ALKP. You would see excessive thirst usually in a dog with Cushing's.

If she is eating, not losing weight, not vomiting, and normally active, liver disease is not likely. An ultrasound should be done, if you are concerned.

Please let me know if this helps and what other questions I can answer.

I hope you are seeing my responses!

Please let me know if this is helpful!

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my responses.

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and any other questions you have.

I did not hear back from you; how is she doing?

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer. Happy New Year!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian